Criteo published its data-backed analysis of how online consumers’ behaviours are changing.
Criteo, the online display advertisements company, published a new report “Shopper Story 2022: Consumer Trends & the Future of Commerce”. The company analysed survey results across more than 17,000 respondents globally, and data from its 22,000 advertiser clients worldwide, to understand the now and future consumer.
The main findings are:
- Consumers often turn to the open internet, proactively taking their journey outside of walled gardens like Google, Amazon, and Facebook. (Could this mean the demise of social commerce?)
- Hybrid shopping options are getting more popular, including BOPIS (buy online, pickup in store), ROPO (research online, purchase offline) and BORIS (buy online, return in-store).
- Consumer electronics are dominating share of wallet, and shoppers are investing in sustainable products and shipping methods.
- Streaming video is a lifestyle. Video is the world’s preferred online ad format and it impacts every stage of the customer journey.
- In 2022, consumers anticipate getting back social lives (hanging out with friends, dining out, attending private events) and travel.